Top 5 Reasons Why Water Gets Into Homes’ Foundations in Louisiana
Louisiana’s rich cultural heritage and vibrant lifestyle are undeniable attractions. However, its humid subtropical climate can sometimes become a menace for homeowners, particularly when it comes to foundation issues caused by water intrusion. A water-damaged foundation can cause structural problems in the house, leading to costly repairs. In this post, we’ll delve into the top five reasons why water gets into homes’ foundations in Louisiana and how Academy House Leveling can help by offering free inspections.
1. High Rainfall and Floods
- The state receives an average of 60 inches of rainfall annually, much higher than the national average.
- Flooding is common due to the state’s proximity to bodies of water including the Mississippi River and the Gulf of Mexico.
This excess water can accumulate around the foundation, increasing hydrostatic pressure, which in turn causes cracks through which water can seep into the foundation.
2. Poor Soil Conditions
- The state’s soil predominantly consists of clay, which is highly expansive.
- As the clay soil absorbs water, it expands and exerts pressure on the foundation.
This phenomenon, called soil heave, can cause foundation cracks and structural damage over time.
3. Inadequate Drainage
- Poor drainage systems fail to direct water away from the foundation.
- Gutters, downspouts, and landscape grading play a significant role in ensuring proper drainage.
It’s crucial to maintain and improve drainage systems to prevent water from pooling around the foundation.
4. Plumbing Leaks
- Hidden plumbing leaks can contribute to water accumulation around the foundation.
- Older homes are particularly susceptible due to deteriorating pipes and plumbing fixtures.
It’s important to routinely inspect and repair plumbing to avoid excessive water around the foundation.
5. Hurricanes and Storm Surges
- Louisiana is prone to hurricanes, which bring heavy rains and storm surges.
- Storm surges can cause water to push against the foundation.
The combined pressure from storm surges and heavy rains during hurricanes can severely weaken the foundation.
How Academy House Leveling Can Help
Academy House Leveling understands the importance of a strong foundation for your home. They offer free inspections to evaluate the state of your foundation and provide professional advice on necessary repairs or improvements. With their expertise, you can protect your home against the damaging effects of water intrusion and ensure the structural integrity of your foundation.
Take Action Today
Understanding the causes of water intrusion into your home’s foundation is the first step towards safeguarding your property. Take action by:
- Regularly inspecting and maintaining your home’s drainage systems.
- Monitoring the state of the soil around your foundation.
- Keeping an eye out for plumbing leaks.
- Being prepared for hurricanes and making necessary arrangements.
- Scheduling a free inspection with Academy House Leveling.
Your home is a valuable investment, and it’s crucial to keep it safe from foundation issues caused by water intrusion. Take the right steps today to protect your property.